|1. A. degree||B. doctorate||C. graduate||D. kindergarten|
|2. A. bachelor||B. chapter||C. chemistry||D. teacher|
|3. A. culture||B. student||C. institution||D. university|
|4. A. appreciate||B. psychology||C. programme||D. respectively|
|5. A. academic||B. apply||C. apology||D. achieve|
|6. A. biology||B. geography||C. education||D. relationship|
|7. A. broaden||B. provide||C. pursue||D. succeed|
|8. A. college||B. degree||C. language||D. subject|
|9. A. analytical||B. opportunity||C. qualification||D. university|
|10. A. bachelor||B. diploma||C. internship||D. scholarship|
11. It is not easy at all to get a good job without any __________ qualifications.
A. Academic B. social C. great D. favourite
12. At the _______ level, you can join three-year or four-year colleges.
A. Primary B. secondary C. postgraduate D. undergraduate
13. Hugh is quite worried because he hasn’t ________for the end-of-term test.
A. Examined B. researched C. studied D. read
14. Any pupil caught______ was made to stand at the front of the class.
A. Misbehave B.misbehaved C. misbehaviour D. misbehaving
15. They_____ sacrifices so that their only child could have a good education.
A. Made B. did C. provided D. lent
16. A university is an institution of higher education and research, which grants ______ degrees at all levels in a variety of subjects.
A. Secondary B.optional C. academic D. vocational
17. You have to be highly ________ to do well in these subjects.
A. Competitive B. competitor C. competition D. competed
18. I can’t cope well _____ all the homework I’ve got to do!
A. On B. of C. about D. with
19. ______education normally provides undergraduate and postgraduate education, as well as vocational education and training.
A. Intermediate B. Primary C. Secondary D. Tertiary
20. You’11 find plenty of books on the __________ of business studies in the library.
A. Lesson B. subject C. curriculum D. schedule
21. I wonder if you could tell me who was awarded the ________ .
A. Scholar B. scholastic C. scholarship D. scholarly
22. My dad said that I’d better spend more time on my __________ .
A. Student B. studied C. studious D. studies
23. He has got a degree _______ Iníòrmation Technology from Oxford University.
A. In B. for C. on D. of
24. I don’t really ______ the point of taking the exam when you are not ready for it.
A. Annoy B. have C. see D. take
25. If you’re not sure what “something” means, look it__________ in the dictionary.
A. For B. out C. at D. up
26. Mrs Dawson said that we are __________ our lesson in the library next Monday.
A. Going B. having C. making D. reading
27. My dad wants me to go to university, but I’m in __________ minds about it.
A. Different B. my C. some D. two
28. Yesterday, we had a discussion _____ different cultures.
A. About B. around C. for D. from
29. I still have a lot______ about the English language.
A. For learning B. of learning C. learning D. to learn
30. Belinda missed a few months of school because of illness and found it difficult
to keep ______ with her classmates.
A. On B. off C. down D. up
31. If you need to _____ the teacher’s attention, just put up your hand.
A. Attract B. pay C. take D. pull
32. I did six hours of _______ for the test, but I still failed.
A. Education B. survey C. revision D. training
33. Please, don’t forget _______ your essays during Friday’s lesson.
A. Hand in B. handing in C. to hand in D. to handing in
35. If’s my ______ ceremony next week; I think my parents are looking forward
to it more than I am.
A. Graduation B. graduate C. graduating D. graduates
36. Going to university is expensive because in addition to the tuition______ ,
there are expenses for accommodation, books, living costs, etc.
A. Grants B. fees C. fares D. scholarships
37. When I got to 16, sorae of my ữiends left school to get a job, but most _______
A. Dropped out B. moved back C. got in D. stayed on
38. The more ______ you have, the more chance you have of finding a better job.
A. Courses B. contributions C. qualifications D. qualities
39. Next year, I have to decide which area of medicine I want to _________ in.
A. Come B. focus C. hand D. specialise
40. I got a diploma in business administration, but still sometimes wish I had been
able to go to university and get a _________.
A. certificate B. diploma C. degree D. scholarship
41. When you sit for the exam tomorrow, try to stay calm and relaxed,
A. Answer B. take C. make D. write
42. If the examiner can’t make sense of what your essay is about, you’ll get the low mark.
A. Declare B. estimate C. communicate D. understand
43. If you want to get a high mark on a test, review the material carefully beforehand.
A. performance B. score C. figure D. note
44. Some students only cram for tests when there is little time left, so their results are not satisfactory.
A. Prepare in a short period B. prepare in a long time
C. Prepare well D. prepare badly
45. My application for the scholarship has been turned down because the transcript of marks is not satisfactory enough.
A. Cancelled B. postponed C. reduced D. rejected
46. Students also have the opportunity to choose from a wide range of optional courses in the university.
A. mandatory B. selective C. free D. limited
47. Tom did miserably on the final test, which caused a shock to everyone in the class.
A. Took B. sat for C. failed D. passed
48. Schools are more relaxed nowadays as discipline is less tough than before.
A. Accurate B. severe C. strict D. loose
49. Well, Mrs Baker, you’ll be pleased to hear that George has made a dramatic improvement in geography.
A. Meaningful B. important C. insignificant D. steady
50. Most of the students in our country are interested in pursuing higher education to get bachelor’s degrees.
A. Following B. giving up C. trying D. interrupting
51. I _______ English for five years. I study it at school.
A. Have been learning B. have learnt
C. Learnt D. am learning
52. You can ha ve your book back now. I _________it.
A. Have been reading B. have read
C. Had read D. read
53. You look upset. ______ you ______ ?
C. Have – been crying
D. Have – cried
54. How many times ______ you ______ that intemational conference?
A. Did – attend B. do – attend
C. Have – been attending D. have – attended
55. I_______ for my math textbook all day, but I _______ it yet.
A. Have been looking/haven’t found
B. Have looked/haven’t found
C. Have been looking/haven’t been finding
D. Have looked/haven’t been finding
56. Mum _______ all moming. She ______ lots of Christmas presents.
A. Has shopped/has bought
B. Has been shopping/has bought
C. Has been shopping/has been buying
D. Has shopped/has been buying
57. Kevin______ his homework, but he ________ it yet.
A. Has been doing/hasn’t been finishing
B. Has done/hasn’t fĩnished
C. Has been doing/hasn’t finished
D. Has done/hasn’t been finishing
58. Pete _______ at Midfield Secondary School since 2006, but he________music in his lessons twice.
A. Has been teaching/has only played
B. Has been teaching/has only been playing
C. Has taught/has only been playing
D. Has taught/has only played
59. I_______ the biography of Robbie Williams, but I’m on page 50.
A. Have read B. have been reading
C. Had read D. was reading
60. Jimmy can go out when he ________for the exam.
A. Has been studying B. has been studied
C. has studied D. studied
61.I _______ the latest Harry Potter book all day. I’m dying to know what happens in the end!
A. Am reading B. have been reading
C. Have read D. had read
62. So far I ________any of the exams at school.
A. Haven’t been failing B. hadn’t failed
C. Didn’t fail D. haven’t failed
63. We______ our classroom for the upcoming Teachers’ Day, but there’s still a
lot to do.
A. Are decorating B. decorated
C. Have been decorating D. have decorated
64. Margaret ________ in the school marathon for chạrity beíbre.
A. Has never run B. never runs
C. Never ran D. has never been running
65. My brother graduated from Hong Kong ưniversity of Science and Technology
last month and________ for a job since then.
A. Has been looking B. has looked
C. Was looking D. had looked
66. Tim ________ for the scholarship to study abroad in the USA at least twice.
A. Applied B. is applying C. has been applying D. has applied
67. All the students________ for their academic transcripts all this week, but they______ them yet.
A. Have waited/haven’t received
B. Have been waiting/haven’t received
C. Have waited/haven’t been receiving
D. Have been waiting/haven’t been receiving
68. I _______ for the information about the differences between further education and higher education all this morning.
A. Had searched B. have been searched
C. Have been searching D. have searched
69. It’s the fírst time you ________ an Online course, isn’t it?
A. Had ever taken B. have ever been taking
C. Ever took D. have ever taken
70. The teacher________ the speaking task on the board, so now the students are
A. Has already been writing B. has already written
C. Already wrote D. had already written
71. Sandy_______ his sister since she________ to university in 2014.
A. Hadn’t seen/went B. hasn’t been seeing/went
C. Didn’t see/has gone D. hasn’t seen/went
72. They_______ to Spain for an educational exchange and won’t be back until
the end of this month.
A. Have gone B. went C. have been going D. is going
73. Poor Tracy! She _______ that essay for hours now and she still ________ .
A. Has written/hasn’t finished
B. Has been writing/didn’t finish
C. Has been writing/hasn’t finished
D. Has written/hasn’t been finishing
74. Tom and Mary are still discussing the math exercise with each other because
they__________ how to do it.
A. Aren’t working out B. haven’t worked out
C. Haven’t been working out D. didn’t work out
75. I _____ reading a wonderful book about space travel.
A. Just finish B. just do finish
C. have just finished D. have just been finishing
76. As a rule, you shouldn’t argue with your hosts unless they __________ something openly offensive.
A. Had said B. have been saying
C. Have said D. would say
77. Noah Webster ____ an American Dictionary of the English Language in two
volumes in 1823, and since then it _______ the recognised authority for usage
in the United States.
A. Published/became B. has published/has become
C. Published/was becoming D. published/has become
78. She _________ of great help to us because she for su ch a long time with us.
A. Has been/had lived B. has been/has been living
C. Has been/lived D. was/has lived
79. I________the book yet so I can’t tell you what happens.
A. Haven’t finished B. haven’t been finishing
C. Didn’t finish D. hadn’t finished
80. Peter has been a junior clerk for three years. Lately he _____ for a better post but so far he ______ anything.
A. Looks/hasn’t found
B. Have looked/haven’t found
C. Has been looking/hasn’t found
D. Has looked/hasn’t found