|1. A. scholar||B. technique||C. archaeology||D. achievement|
|2. A. ancient||B. concern||C. associate||D. special|
|3. A. itinerary||B.abundant||C. elegance||D. landscape|
|4. A. tomb||B. dome||C. mosaic||D. poetic|
|5. A. numerous||B. luxury||C. perfume||D. monument|
|6. A. archaeology||B. itinerary||C. unforgettable||D. authenticity|
|7. A. magnificent||B. associate||C. mausoleum||D. harmonious|
|8. A. religious||B. masterpiece||C. prestigious||D. abundant|
|9. A. intact||B. nightlife||C. relic||D. complex|
|10. A. cultural||B. heritage||C. memory||D. represent|
Part II. VOCABULARY
Exercise 3. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
11. I’d like to book a room with a/an_____of the sea.
A. Outlook B. sight C. view D. scenery
12. When I’m on holiday, I enjoy _____.
A. Getting sunburnt
B. Getting sunstroke
C. Having a sunbath
13. The most popular destinations for _________holidays are Spain, Italy, and Greece.
A. Charter B. package C. packed D. packet
14. When you are staying at a popular resort, there are plenty of ________ to go on.
A. Excursions B. expeditions C. pilgrimages D. sightseeing
15. One day when I’m rich and famous, I’m going to go on a round-the-world____
A. Cruise B. sail C. travel D. trip
16. You can save money by choosing a _________ holiday.
A. Do-it-yourself B. self-catering
C. Self-study D. survival
17. My favourite part of England is Cornwall. There’s some absolutely beautiful _____there.
A. Nature B. signs C. scenery D. views
18. There’s a pretty little fishing village _______.
A. By the sea B. on the sand C. on the beach D. by the shore
19. There’s a path that _______ out of the village to a beautiful 14th-century church.
A. Follows B. moves C. takes D. leads
20. Costa Rica is one of the most beautiíul places I have ever visited. Wherever
you go, you can see the _______ of volcanoes, some of which are still alive.
A. Tops B. heads C. mouths D. ends
21. The beaches were absolutely ______.Sometimes we were the only two people there.
A. Unspoilt B. deserted C. natural D. romantic
22. Sri Lanka has some fantastic beaches – miles after miles of golden sand and______ water.
A. Crystal clear B. Crystal clean C. light blue D. navy blue
23. The travel agent wasn’t to______ for the overbooking.
A. Accuse B. charge C. blame D. claim
24. When I worked as a waiter, the hotel manager found ______ with everything I do.
A. Blame B. complaint C. fault D. criticism
25. It can be quite busy here during the tourist ______ .
A. Period B. phase C. stage D. season
26. I always enjoy our school_______ to France.
A. Excursion B. journey C. trip D. travel
27. Captain Cook discovered Australia on a __________to the Paciíic.
A. Voyage B. cruise C. travel D. tour
28. The sunset over Niagara Fall is really a magnificent________ .
A. Look B. sign C. view D. sight
29. The hotel where we are _______ is quite luxurious.
A. Staying B. existing C. remaining D. living
30. Passengers requiring a special meal during the flight should inform the airline in _____
A. Ahead B. advance C. front D. forward
31. We usually do go by train, even though the car ________ is a lot quicker.
A. Travel B. trip C. voyage D. journey
32. The area near the palace gates was _________ with tourists.
A. Full B. crowded C. flooded D. covered
33. From the top of the cathedral tower there are some spectacular _______ of the surrounding countryside.
A. Sights B. sites C. views D. scenery
34. She didn’t enjoy the Mediterranean ________ at all; she was seasick most of the time.
A. Cruise B. tour C. voyage D. trip
35. Known as ‘Ha Long Bay on Land’, Trang An Scenic Landscape Complex is
famous for its mountains, caves, and archaeological ________ .
A. Excavations B. sites C. relics D. heritages
36. The balance and harmonious blending of various elements contribute to Taj Mahal’s unique beauty.
A. Successful B. agreeable C. tasteful D. fitting
37. My Son Sanctuary is a large complex of religious relics comprising more than 70 architectural works such as towers, temples, and tombs.
A. Royal B. precious C. holy D. valuable
38. In addition to exploring the caves and grottos, and seeing its flora and fauna, visitors can also enjoy mountain climbing.
A. Flowers and plants B. plants and animals
C. Plants and vegetation D. flowers and grass
39. Ha Long Bay has attracted millions of visitors who come to enjoy its ‘ breathtaking views and experience other activities.
A. Unbreathable B. heartbreaking
C. Awe-inspiring D. unforgettable
40. They can enjoy the comfort and elegance of five-star hotels and luxury cruise ships.
A. Style B. convenience C. Standard D. grace
41. Most of the Imperial Citadel of Thang Long was demolished in the early 20th century.
A. Rebuilt B. pulled down C. put up D. pulled up
42. Taj Mahal is a giant mausoleum of white marble in Arga, India. It is considered to be an outstanding work of art.
A. Noticeable B. attractive C. brilliant D. significant
43. Recognised as a World Heritage Site in 1983, the Taj Mahal Complex, including the tomb, mosque, guest house, and main gate, has preserved the original qualities of the buildings.
A. Initial B. ancient C. unique D. perfect
44. As visitors explore this magnificent place, there are always new surprises for them.
A. Interesting B. strange C. impressive D. unusual
45. The mausoleum represents the greatest architectural and artistic achievement of Muslim art.
A. Contains B. includes C. claims D. embodies
46. Though built almost- five hundred years ago, the church remained practically intact.
A. In perfection B. in ruins C. in chaos D. in completion
47. Tourists can do and see a lot in Ha Long Bay at a reasonable price.
A. Inexpensive B. affordable C. cheap D. exorbitant
48. The major stone sections of the Citadel of the Ho Dynasty remain intact thanks to the unique construction techniques.
A. Special B. common C. excellent D. ancient
49. The Imperial Citadel of Thang Long was first built during the Ly Dynasty and then expanded by subsequent dynasties.
A. Following B. successive C. preceding D. next
50. Visitors with more abundant travel budgets can enjoy the comfort of five-star hotels and luxury cruise ships.
A. Huge B. plentiful C. mean D. tight
51. The best way_______ London is by taking a guided tour.
A. Of which to see B. to see
C. Seeing D. in which you see
52. With its thousands of rocks and caves ________ out of the water, Ha Long Bay has won international recognition.
A. Emerge B. to emerge C. emerging D. being emerged
53. Hoi An Ancient Town is a well-preserved example of a Southeast Asian
trading port ________ from the 15th to the 19th ceníxiry.
A. To date B. dated C. that date D. dating
54. We can also see the stone dragons of Kinh Thien Palace and relics associated
with many Vietnamese royal families, __________ during archaeological excavations.
A. Discovered B. being discovered
C. To discover D. discovering
55. John F. Kennedy was the last US president ________ .
A. To assassinate B. assassinated
C. Assassinating D. to be assassinated
56. The Complex of Hue Monuments was the first site in Viet Nam _______ to the World Heritage List.
A. Adding B. to add C. to be added D. added
57. The archaeological excavation ________ to the discovery of the ancient city lasted several years.
A. Led B. leading C. to lead D. being led
58. Though ___________ many centuries ago, the palace remains practically intact.
A. Building B. to build C. built D. people built
59. I picked up some holiday brochures __________ around the table at the travel agency.
A. To lie B. lying C. to be lying D. being lying
60. Situated on Cam Khe Hill, Tomb of Minh Mang is one of the most interesting
royal tombs ________ in Hue.
A. To visit B. visited C. visiting D. being visited
61. You may choose one from the five World Heritage Sites in Viet Nam_________ in this leaflet to visit on your next field trip.
A. Includes B. including C. included D. to include
62. ________ UNESCO criteria for outstanding universal value to humanity, Trang An Scenic Landscape Complex was added to the World Heritage List in 2014.
A. Meeting B. Met C. To meet D. Having met
63. The most magnificent feature of Taj Mahal________ is the Central dome.
A. Noticed B. being noticed C. to notice D. noticing
64. Scientists_________ on the site found many ancient tools, tombs and pottery, and made some important archaeological discoveries.
A. Worked B. working C. to work D. to be working
65. with an average of 320 days of sunshine a year, the coastline offers the perfect holiday destination for anyone _____ to switch off and unwind.
A. BlessedAvanting B. Blessing/wanting
C. Blessed/wants D. Blessing/wanted
66. Southern Spain’s Costa del Sol, _______ from Nerja in the east to Manilva in the west, is one of the most fascinating tourist areas in the world.
A. Stretches B. stretching C. stretched D. being stretched
67. As well as its beautiful sun-soaked beaches and excellent gastronomy, the
region boasts no fewer than thirty golf courses, __________ amateurs and
professionals alike with year-round golfmg opportunities.
A. Provides B. provided C. providing D. is providing
68. The Saga Rose is a good-looking ship. _____ in 1965, she is highly regarded by marine experts for her elegant lines.
A. Launching B. Was launched C. To launch D. Launched
69. I took up salsa, _______ by dance teacher, Thabo, who made us believe we were good enough to perform in front of passengers and crew.
A. Was inspired B. inspiring C. inspired D. was inspiring
70. The electromagnetic fields can also cause responses in the brain, _______
observers into thinking they are seeing even more vivid impressions.
A. Tricking B. tricks C. trick D. tricked
71. Henry VIII of England was the only king___________ six times.
A. To marry B. married C. was married D. marrying
72. Travellers are faced with a lot of destinations ___________ from.
A. Choosing B. choose C. to be choosing D. to choose
73. I think China will be the next country _________ the Olympic Games.
A. Who host B. hosting C. to host D. hosted
74. At 24, William Pitt was the youngest person___________Prime Minister.
A. Becoming B. to become C. became D. was become
75. Tourists _______ the train from London to Stratford have to change at Coventry.
A. Take B. taking C. to take D. who takes
76. The Capital city of Ecuador was the first city in the world _________ a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
A. To declare B. declared C. declaring D. to be declared
77. Trang An Scenic Landscape Complex is the 8th World Heritage in Viet Nam _______by UNESCO.
A. To be recognised B. to recognise
C. Recognising D. recognised
78. The London Tower Bridge,________ 244 metres long, is a World Heritage Site.
A. Measures B. measured C. measuring D. is measured
79. Scholars believe that there are still relics ___________ under the tomb and awaiting to be excavated.
A. Burying B. buried C. are burying D. are buried
80. ____ the email – supposedly from Boyd’s Bank – to be genuine, she was tricked into disclosing her credit card details.
A. Believe B. Being believed C. To believe D. Believing